Getting the SSL certificates from MettleSE
Go to Tools > Certificate Authority Manager > CA
- Click on the Inverted Triangle next to the corresponding Certificate used in SSL VPN
- Click Export CA to download the CA Certificate.
Then Go Tools > Certificate Authority Manager > Certificates
Installation and Configuration of OpenVPN Clients in Windows
- Click on the Inverted Triangle next to the corresponding User Certificate that you wish to Export.
- Click Export Certificate to download the User Certificate.
- Click Export Certificate Key to download the User Key.
- Download the SSL VPN client Installation setup file from http://openvpn.se/download.html.
- If you have a previous version of the client installed close the program and make sure no user logged into th system is using the VPN client.
- Run the client installtion program. During installation you can choose if the program should be started automatically at system startup. The default is yes.
- Create a config.ovpn configuration file with a simple texteditor and save it in: C:\Program files\OpenVPN\config\
- Copy the previously downloaded client.crt, client.key and ca.crt obtained to C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\
Add the following lines to the config.ovpn
remote <VPN Server IP> 1194
Note : If the Certificates and Key files are downloaded into the 'config' directory, then the above configuration is enough.
If they are copied into some other directory, the path is to be specified in the following format.
The separator '\\' is to be used between the directory names. \\ is intentional.
Connecting to the SSL VPN server
To initiate the SSL VPN tunnel following the creation of the client configuration files:
- Right click on the SSL VPN client program icon in the Notification Area
- Select the newly created client configuration
- Click Connect.
- Once established, the SSL VPN icon will display a message notifying of the successful connection and assigned IP.